Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | RSS | More
Joining me for this episode is Emilie Jane Fish. You are going to love this conversation with Emilie. She is so genuine, personable, and easy to talk to. She has such powerful messages to share about the importance in teaching and learning, of listening to our kids and making people feel seen, heard, and understood.
Emilie is a YYC mama to two lovely outgoing little boys named Beckett and Finley and a darling little baby girl named Sawyer. She is married to her best friend and adventure partner, Matt. Emilie splits her time between being a dedicated fun loving kindergarten teacher and a joy seeking content creator. Her superpower is creating cool transitions! Having always had a passion to create, Emilie shares different facets of her life on social media through the lens of fashion, dance and family, with a goal to spread joy and to inspire.
Listen in as we talk about:
- Getting to help shape young minds. Emilie talks about her love for teaching and getting the chance to help shape young minds in the process.
- Having a positive, fresh school year. How can we help our kids look at school as something positive? How can we encourage their learning? Emilie shares her tips for parents here.
- Finding joy in creativity. Emilie shares her love for creating social media reels and using it as a creative outlet to bring in more fun, joy and learning.
Connect with Emilie:
- Instagram: @emiliejanefish https://www.instagram.com/emiliejanefish/
- TikTok: @mrsemiliejanefish https://www.tiktok.com/@mrsemiliejanefish
Connect with Tiana:
- Website: https://tianafech.com
- LinkedIn: Tiana Fech https://www.linkedin.com/in/tianafech/
- Instagram: @tianafech https://www.instagram.com/tianafech/
- Facebook: @tianafech https://www.facebook.com/tianafech
- Book: Online Course Creation 101: A step-by-step guide to creating your first online course https://amzn.to/3BujR21
GETTING TO HELP SHAPE YOUNG MINDS
“It is such a gift to be the person that gets to lead the way.” Emilie talks about her love for teaching and getting the chance to help shape young minds in the process. She highlights how important it is for children to feel seen, heard and understood in the classroom, and how more often than not, the kids who may be most frustrating tend to be those who need compassion the most. She reminds us how we all have a role to play in the development and shaping of our kids’ journey and minds.
HAVING A POSITIVE, FRESH SCHOOL YEAR
How can we help our kids look at school as something positive? How can we encourage their learning Emilie talks about the positivity factor, which she believes is critical for kids. Her advice to parents is to spread the positivity surrounding school. It’s about hearing how they’re feeling, validating their feelings, and helping them to turn the narrative around to focus on the good.
FINDING JOY IN CREATIVITY
“Don’t be scared to try new things.” Emilie shares her love for creating social media reels and using it as a creative outlet to bring in more fun, joy and learning. She reminds us that we have the power to learn something new, regardless of what other people may think or say about it. We get to find fulfillment in those little moments and bring to life our creative, energetic side.
YOU COULD BE THAT PERSON
One of the biggest things that Emilie has learned as a teacher, is that the ones who are the hardest to love in your classroom are actually the ones who need the most love. You could be that person who changes their life or that they hold onto for the rest of their life as an impactful memory or as an impactful person. Emilie reminds us to not be short sighted. It can be hard and frustrating in the moment but know that giving your heart could change one child’s life.
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
- What is something that you would love to learn about or something that you would love to learn how to do? How to surf
- What is a place that is at the top of your travel bucket list? Australia
- What is a book, podcast, or TV show that you have enjoyed recently ?
- Podcast: The Laughing Couple Podcast
- If you could sit down and have a conversation with someone that you would love to learn from, who would it be? Oprah
1:00 Meet Emilie
2:20 Emilie’s Story
6:30 What Emilie loves most about teaching
8:10 Emilie’s approach to teaching and learning with her students and her own children
10:28 Emilie’s advice to parents for a great start to a new school year
13:00 Emilie’s favorite teacher
16:45 Emilie and her husband Matt’s dynamic as a teacher duo
20:00 How Emilie and Matt stay connected while juggling the demands of teaching and parenting
25:03 Emilie shares content online that is joyous and happy but she too feels overwhelm and has those hard days
31:50 What Emilie has learned through her experiences with directing and creating content for brands
34:14 Emilie’s top tools, strategies, tips, and tricks for content creation as well as who she follows for inspiration and ideas
40:40 Emilie’s experience with The Jilly Academy and how she has always been a lifelong learner
44:10 What Emilie is most proud of looking back on her journey so far
44:50 Emilie answers some rapid fire questions
48:32 Emilie’s words of wisdom