In this episode with Simona Costantini, we’re exploring why podcasts can be a powerful teaching tool – in life, and both inside and outside of the classroom.
We talk about creating online courses, starting a podcast, and podcasts as a tool for both teaching and learning. What value do we gain from consuming podcasts? How do they transform our mindsets?
Simona is my amazing podcast editor who I have had the privilege to work with for almost a year now. She has been an incredible mentor and teacher for me in the world of podcasting.
Simona Costantini is the Founder and CEO of Costantini Productions, a full-service podcast production agency. She is also the Executive Producer and Host of two podcasts: Happiness Happens Podcast and As It Relates to Podcasting. She helps women entrepreneurs in the parenting, wellness and marketing spaces bring their personality, brand and passion to the mic by helping them launch, manage and grow their podcasts. Simona’s experience spans more than 10 years in marketing, communications, advertising and public relations. When Simona isn’t behind the mic, producing a show, or strategizing a game-changing podcast launch, you can find her at home in wine country with her husband Steven and their cockapoo puppy named Gus.
Listen in as we talk about:
- How getting into podcasting caused a massive life shift. Simona talks about how stepping into the podcasting space changed her life completely.
- Building a podcast course from scratch. Simona shares why she started her podcast course, how she built it and for who, and which platform she uses to host it.
- The biggest questions people have when starting a podcast. How do you start your show? What technology do you need? How do you launch it? Simona shares the common questions and answers she gets from new (and seasoned) podcasters.
- Creating a podcast to transform your mindset. Creating and hosting a podcast takes you through a journey of self discovery. It also helps you uncover hidden blocks about yourself that you may not have been aware of before.
- Podcasts as a teaching tool. Simona shares how podcasting is transforming the way in which people of all ages learn and the power podcasting brings to the classroom and beyond.
Connect with Simona:
Free Podcast Resources: https://www.simonacostantini.com/resources
Instagram: @simona_costantini https://www.instagram.com/simona__costantini
Facebook: Costantini Productions https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086276031659
LinkedIn: Simona Costantini https://www.linkedin.com/in/simona-costantini-25653a30/
As It Relates to Podcasting: https://www.simonacostantini.com/asitrelatestopodcasting
Happiness Happens Podcast: https://www.simonacostantini.com/happinesshappenspodcast
Connect with Tiana:
- Website: https://tianafech.com
- LinkedIn: Tiana Fech https://www.linkedin.com/in/tianafech/
- Instagram: @tianafech https://www.instagram.com/tianafech/
- Facebook: @tianafech https://www.facebook.com/tianafech
- Book: Online Course Creation 101: A step-by-step guide to creating your first online course https://amzn.to/3BujR21
HOW GETTING INTO PODCASTING CAUSED A MASSIVE LIFE SHIFT
“The more that we can realize that how we show up in this world is less about us and more so about how we make other people feel and how we can leave them better than we found them, the more we can be truly present in our lives every single day.”
Oftentimes when we’re in hard moments or seasons of life, we don’t always understand why we’re in that particular moment and how it will bring us to our next uplevel. Simona talks about how her love for podcasting started when she was in a dark time of her life.
Podcasting became a tool to help her move through her healing journey, and help others learn and heal in their own way at the same time. She shares how her life and business evolved and expanded into podcast production, and the beautiful gifts life has blessed her with from simply having the courage to step up to the mic.
BUILDING A PODCAST COURSE FROM SCRATCH
Simona shares why she started her podcast course, how she built it and for who, and which platform she uses to host it.
There are so many technical pieces when it comes to creating a podcast, and many details that go into launching one. She created the course for creatives who wanted to learn how to make a podcast, and brain dumped everything she knows about podcasting into this six module course. She teaches her exact method and process, and how she went about setting up the course on a technical level.
THE BIGGEST QUESTIONS PEOPLE HAVE WHEN STARTING A PODCAST
The two biggest struggles creators have when it comes to starting a podcast is the technology piece, and the niche and podcast name.
How do you start your show? What technology do you need? How do you launch it? How can you monetize your podcast? Simona shares the common questions and answers she gets from new (and seasoned) podcasters.
There’s so much different technology and many options, especially when it comes to recording, editing software and which microphone to use. Simona breaks down all of these pieces on her own podcast, As It Relates to Podcasting, or in her free resources on her website.
CREATING A PODCAST TO TRANSFORM YOUR MINDSET
“If you have this idea for a podcast and getting this big message out there, there’s a reason why. There is someone that needs to hear that message. There is a transformation that will only occur if you show up and step up the mic.”
However, the idea of showing up and stepping up to the mic can seem daunting…even terrifying! Creating and hosting a podcast takes you through a journey of self discovery. It also helps you uncover hidden blocks about yourself that you may not have been aware of before.
As you go about creating your podcast, you learn and uncover so much about yourself that you may not have realized was buried within your thoughts. If you’re simply listening to podcasts and consuming content, you’re choosing to learn something new and opening yourself up to new perspectives, knowledge and thoughts.
PODCASTS AS A TEACHING TOOL
“Whether you’re teaching in a school, in life or through a podcast like this, teachers have this amazing ability to shift perspectives without even knowing it.”
Simona shares how podcasting is transforming the way in which people of all ages learn and the power podcasting brings to the classroom and beyond. They have changed the way we learn in so many different capacities because you have access to any type of content right at your fingertips. We live in a society right now that questions everything, with a generation that spends most of their time online. Younger generations learn mostly through online storytelling.
If you look at a platform like TikTok for example, younger people are telling stories about their lives through media, and that’s the way they’re getting their points across. When you have something like a podcast, you’re sharing your story, a story, any story in the exact way that you want to deliver it.
Podcasting is also changing the way news media reports on events, as we can see with news companies starting up their own podcasts.
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
- What is something that you would love to learn about or something that you would love to learn how to do? Cook Indian food
- What is a place that is at the top of your travel bucket list? Italy with her dad
- What is a book, podcast, or TV show that you have enjoyed recently ? Podcast: Make Your Damn Bed with host Julie Nerica
- If you could sit down and have a conversation with someone that you would love to learn from, who would it be and why? Her great-grandma or Lori Harder
1:00 Meet Simona
2:50 Simona’s Story
7:35 Simona’s online course – “Start and Launch a Podcast in 8 Weeks”
12:40 The most common questions people ask about starting a podcast
16:25 How creating a podcast can transform your personal mindset
22:50 Podcasts as a valuable resource for learning both inside and outside the classroom
30:20 Why Simona thinks podcasts are so popular and what she loves most about listening to podcasts
35:10 Simona’s favorite teacher
37:40 What Simona is most proud of looking back on her journey so far
39:35 Simona answers some rapid fire questions
42:50 Simona’s words of wisdom