In this episode with Afton Brazzoni, we talk about the ins and outs of content marketing, and how to use it to illuminate your brand in a meaningful way.
Afton is the founder of Scribe National, a content studio that helps B2B companies and entrepreneurs catapult their sales with undeniable brand messaging, strategic content plans and impeccable writing.
With 12 years of experience in marketing and communications, Afton’s mission is to help her clients unleash their brilliance with the written word. She’s had the pleasure of working with over 50 clients worldwide during her three years as founder of Scribe National — the majority being repeat customers — including billion-dollar enterprises and others among Canada’s 50 fastest growing companies.
Afton is a passionate writer and storyteller who started perfecting her craft even in childhood. She talks about creating high value content, infusing storytelling strategies in your brand messaging, and shares some great tips and tricks when it comes to content marketing.
Listen in as we talk about:
- Using long-form content to effectively illuminate your brand. Afton shares the secret behind using long-form content to shine a light on your brand and overall message.
- The role storytelling plays in connecting with and teaching people about a brand or a business. How does the story behind your brand or business impact the person receiving the message? Afton shares how we can leverage storytelling to create more unity.
- Using content marketing to build meaningful connections with clients. How can we use content marketing to build meaningful relationships and connections with our existing and potential clients? Afton shares her best secrets with us.
- Key tips to improve your content marketing. In order to have an impact with your content and your marketing, there are key tips every business owner should implement. Afton sheds light on her must-know tips for improving your content marketing.
Connect with Afton:
- Website: https://www.scribenational.ca
- Instagram: @aftonbrazzoni https://www.instagram.com/aftonbrazzoni/
- Facebook: @scribenational https://www.facebook.com/scribenational
Shared by Afton:
- The Incubator with Eleanor Beaton https://eleanorbeaton.com/work-with-us/the-incubator/
Connect with Tiana:
- Website: https://tianafech.com
- LinkedIn: Tiana Fech https://www.linkedin.com/in/tianafech/
- Instagram: @tianafech https://www.instagram.com/tianafech/
- Facebook: @tianafech https://www.facebook.com/tianafech
- Book: Online Course Creation 101: A step-by-step guide to creating your first online course https://amzn.to/3BujR21
USING LONG-FORM CONTENT EFFECTIVELY TO ILLUMINATE YOUR BRAND
What is long-form content, and how can you use it effectively to illuminate your brand?
In a world where peoples’ attention spans are becoming shorter, there is a lot of competition in terms of what’s out there for people to consume. In order to stand out from the crowd and grab your audience’s attention, your content has to be really good.
Afton talks about the power of long-form content, and what makes it successful. When she’s referring to long form content, she means long form blog posts, written customer stories, case studies and e-books. The power in this type of content is its longevity and the ability to educate on a profound level. That, and the ability to give readers depth and detail on a specific topic is what allows long form content to shine. You can give more context in longer pieces of content, which becomes more valuable for your reader.
THE ROLE STORYTELLING PLAYS IN CONNECTING WITH AND TEACHING PEOPLE ABOUT A BRAND OR A BUSINESS
“People love stories. It helps build trust. It helps build recognition and quite frankly, it’s just a more interesting way of connecting with people.”
Consumers have a ton of choices these days. In order to build brand affinity, which is what is known as the “know, like and trust factor” in your marketing and storytelling, you need that fundamental trust. If people can’t trust you, they won’t buy from you. In order to create that connection with them, sharing a memorable story that sticks in their mind is key.
Telling stories is ingrained in our DNA. It’s a deeper way of connecting with people and is what will allow us to stand out. Storytelling is a great way to actually stand above the noise that’s on social media today.
USING CONTENT MARKETING TO BUILD MEANINGFUL CONNECTIONS WITH CLIENTS
“The purpose of content marketing is to educate people, to help them solve problems, or to do both. It puts the focus on what is good and beneficial for the audience, the reader, the person engaging with the content instead of this more self-serving idea of what’s going to promote our brand today.”
Content marketing is relationship building. When we look to build those meaningful connections with our clients, it’s fueling a fundamental desire to build a relationship with them. To break down those walls and barriers and allow them to see and learn about you on a more meaningful level.
KEY TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR CONTENT MARKETING
When it comes to online business and your brand, you have your messaging, your brand identity, and your strategy. When it comes to your content strategy, you want to do a competitive content analysis to understand what’s working in marketing, where the gaps are, as well as the opportunities.
By doing this, you can find topics and viewpoints that may not be commonly addressed in your specific niche, and approach your messaging in a new way.
Whatever industry you work in, there are things your competitors aren’t speaking about. Choosing to do a content analysis will identify those gaps and give you a key leg up when it comes to content marketing.
ALWAYS KEEP LEARNING
Always keep learning. This has been key to Afton’s evolution in her business. When she looks at people who have been successful in their own businesses it’s because they never stop and think that they have all the answers. This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be confident in yourself. It just means actively seeking knowledge, being curious, looking for a better way if there is one, and searching for new information.
However, Afton also points out how, on the flip side, we also want to filter this to an extent.
There is an overwhelm that can come from having shiny object syndrome. “It’s about constantly learning but doing it in a way that is discerning, that’s smart and that isn’t going to overwhelm you – that’s going to give you what you need when you need it.”
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
- What is something that you would love to learn about or something that you would love to learn how to do? Automation and funnels
- What is a place that is at the top of your travel bucket list? Patagonia
- What is a book, podcast, or TV show that you have enjoyed recently ? Podcast: Chill and Prosper with host Denise Duffield-Thomas
- If you could sit down and have a conversation with someone that you would love to learn from, who would it be and why? Kelly Roache
1:00 Meet Afton
2:20 Afton’s story
7:10 Why Afton decided to create learning opportunities (a course and workshops) as part of her business and what she has learned along the way
13:00 Examples of long-form written content and how can it be used effectively to illuminate a brand
18:40 How storytelling plays a role in connecting with and teaching people about a brand or business?
22:00 How content marketing plays a crucial role for businesses in building meaningful connections with their clients
25:10 The questions Afton hears most often from her clients about content marketing
29:35 Afton’s key tips to help people improve their content marketing
33:55 Afton’s favorite teacher/learning experience
36:20 What Afton is most proud of looking back on her journey so far
39:10 Afton answers some rapid fire questions
44:05 Afton’s words of wisdom